In June I ran my first half marathon and came in at 2:06:14. I was definitely in the middle of the pack for my age group. Not bad for a girl who hadn’t run more than two miles in a long time. It’s amazing to me how by simply following a training plan and having a few good friends to run with, I could totally do this. I can’t wait to do it again.

I used Runner’s World's online training program. One of my friends introduced me to the wonders of energy gels. If you're running more than seven miles, those are really helpful. Raisins work too. I had two bottles, one for pure water, and another with a salt and sugar water mixture. I made sure I ran up hills while I was training. That really improved my time.
A few things I learned while I was running this race:
1) I could have used a trashbag while I was waiting for the race to start. This would have helped keep me warm. I could have just laid it to the side when I started running.
2)I should have put myself in a lower corral. All 25,000 people were divided into 36 corrals. Corral 1 started running at 7:02 a.m. I was in corral 16, which got to the start line at 7:28 a.m. They determined which corral to put us in based on our estimated finish time. It turns out everyone exaggerates this. This would have been nice to know. My friend Marisa and I were zigzagging through an obstacle course of people for the first 5 miles trying to find a group that was going our pace. So next time we do this, we’re going to put ourselves in a lower corral.
3) Drive the route before you run it, but know that driving the hills is easier than running it (duh). At mile 4 we hit a gradual hill that went on for a full mile. I was aware of this hill because Ben and I drove the course a few weeks earlier. I didn’t think it was that bad. Well, it was bad, but not nearly as bad as the next hill that hit us around mile 9 and then another one at 10. They didn’t last nearly as long, but they hurt.
4) Spectators who cheer you on along the course are really encouraging. Knowing your family is supporting you helps too. Just around mile 8, I was starting to feel pretty much like I was going to die. Then I started thinking of my family and friends and how they were cheering me on. Ben was totally supportive of me while I was training and on the day of the race. That gave me an extra boost I really needed.
5.) Music is essential. I am so glad I brought I brought iPod. Around mile 10, while I was on the hill, people started passing me and I was getting tired. The music pushed me on. I wish I had my playlist to share. The best kind of music for me to run to is the kind that's not necessarily fast, but has a slow, steady beat. For me it also has to be sweet but poweful at the same time. Think, "Come Sail Away," by Styx.
6) People who run full marathons are awesome. After I finished my race, I couldn't imagine having to do two half marathons back to back. I was done. But I know that with training I could go 26.2 miles, and I plan to.
Waiting for a bus to take me to the starting line:
Finishing:
I felt really bad after I had finished. They moved us through a line to get our medals, moved us through another line to get our picture taken, and then they moved us to another line where they offered emergency blankets, oranges, bananas, water, juice, all sorts of stuff. Then I started feeling much better. Then I moved to the family meeting area, and saw Ben, and then we went home! This was a great experience for me and I'm going to do it again.


No comments:
Post a Comment