Okay, a little U.S. government 101. The U.S. Constitution outlines three branches of government: the executive branch, the legislative branch, and the judicial branch. Each of these of course is represented by the White House, Capitol building, and the Supreme Court building, respectively. And, with the exception of the White House, it's easy to make a visit to see these constitutional landmarks. But there are other buildings that I think are sometimes overlooked, buildings that I think represent an important part of our country’s Constitution. The first is the Library of Congress, which to me represents Constitution’s claim that Americans have the right to pursue happiness and freedom, because I think those can only be pursued through truth, knowledge, and wisdom. And then the second is the National Cathedral, which to me represents freedom of religion and the separation of religion and state outlined in the Constitution. So there's my constitutional analysis of some of the most distinct buildings on Capitol Hill. Here's a very brief overview of my favorite buildings in D.C.
White House
I never made it into the White House. I didn’t even make it to the White House visitor center where they have mock ups of a few of the rooms in the White House. After 9/11, only military families and other special guests were allowed inside. But I never felt like I needed to go in. I was happy that I got to see it lit up at night. During the day, it stood as an opaque white jewel amidst the garden. On my first trip to Washington, D.C., I was able to walk up to the gates and peer through its gates. When I went back several years later, after 9/11, we weren’t allowed near the gate. But I did see President Bush on the balcony talking to a group of people. While driving down Pennsylvania, Avenue, I always had fun trying to catch a glimpse of it through the trees. Unfortunately I don’t have many pictures of the building, since I was usually driving when I saw it, but here’s one of the pictures we have from the time we were walking on the Mall.
.jpg)
The White House has several office buildings surrounding it, and one time I got to sit in with an interview with Susan Schwab. She was very nice.
Supreme Court Building
This building is a lot smaller than I imagined it to be, but it is nonetheless an impressive building. The tour basically consists of sitting in the courtroom itself and listening to a short lecture by an aide. Here's me in front of the building one day.

Capitol Building
I had to go through the Capitol building, twice to get my press pass, several other times to cover events, and four or five times as a tourist. By far the most beautiful part of the building is the rotunda. Plan to take a tour with an assistant who works in your representative’s office. This often takes a little bit of planning, but it’s worth it. The Capitol building does offer general tours, but these are usually so crowded, it’s hard to hear what the tour guide is saying, and what they are usually saying barely skims the surface of what there is to know.
If you take a tour with your representative, they may be able to arrange for you to see the Senate voting on the floor.
Library of Congress
By far, my favorite building in all of D.C. is the Library of Congress. I had no idea what to expect the first time I walked through its doors. So you can imagine my surprise when I discovered that it was not just a regular old building filled with books; that it was in every way a temple dedicate to learning and knowledge. At the very top of the building is a flame. The Great Hall is elaborately decorated and embellished in a way that reminds me of old baroque palaces. There are murals and statues that symbolize American ingenuity and progress. Mixed in with all of that are heavy references to Greek and Roman mythology, with Minerva, the goddess of war and wisdom.
My favorite murals in the hall shows depict the evolution of reading and writing through the ages. In that room are two Bibles, one written by monks and another printed by Gutenberg. On the ceiling of this room are references to the disciplines of law, medicine, music, architecture, music, et cetera.
As you make your way through the second level of the hall, you will eventually come to steps that lead you to the library’s main reading room. I almost cried when I saw this for the first time. The layout of the room reminds me so much of the domed interior of a great cathedral, but it is far more beautiful. It is filled with light and most importantly of all…books. Surrounding the room are statues of men who represent various disciplines. The columns are made out of beautiful Italian marble. It’s breathtaking.
Washington National Cathedral
Just on the outskirt of D.C. is the Washington National Cathedral, a beautiful work in and of itself. I first visited this building to record an event for work. I didn’t have a chance to take a tour at that time. But my husband and I went back to hear the 4th of July organ concert, and we went back several times after. The grounds are simply beautiful. There is a beautiful garden full of herbs, roses, and many other vegetation. There are also a few good gift shops at the cathedral. Take the time to visit the cathedral and take a tour. There is so much to learn.
I’m always a sucker for stained glass in cathedrals or any other place of worship. My favorites in this building are the rose window and the space window.


Made from remnants of the Pentagon after 9/11.
No comments:
Post a Comment