While I lived in D.C., I loved taking my friends and family to see the presidential memorials when they were town. These buildings inspired me to learn more about the presidents they represented. And as I read about these men and as I visited their homes, I really felt like I came to know them. I have so much more to learn, though. Here is an account of how I have been able to get to know a few of our presidents better.
Washington Monument
I never went up in the Washington Monument, but I saw it practically every day. The monument is only a few blocks away from my old office building. I would see the tip of it every time I walked to the Metro station, and then get a great big view of it whenever I drove into town or took the yellow metro line into town. My favorite part about is how the American flags circle its white-tan base.
Here's a picture of me in front of it. You can kind of see the flags in the distance.

This is my favorite picture of it:
I think I fell in love with George Washington the first time I visited his plantation home, Mount Vernon. Everything about the home and its grounds celebrate natural beauty, hard work, and productivity. His dining room is proudly decorated with art that showed Washington’s love of farming. George Washington’s tastes were clearly influenced by that of Britain at the time. His gardens and home are laid out in perfect symmetry, a hallmark of English gardens. But we also get a sense that he was a colonial man, a man trying to find new ways to do things in his new American home. He dedicated a whole portion of his farm to finding efficient ways to plant and harvest American crop.

One book that I think really helped me understand Washington better was 1776 by David McCullough. I got to see George Washington as a general fighting with his troops. I learned about his behind-the-scenes maneuverings to make sure his troops had what they needed. At times he was concerned that they would not be able to win the war, something I had never really appreciated. I also love how this man really believed in God or divine intervention, how he believed in prayer.
Jefferson Monument….but where is President Adams’?
This is a spectacular monument, truly. Some of Jefferson’s greatest quotes line the inside of the building. Of all of the presidential monuments, this one feels the most temple-like. But I have to admit, I am a little annoyed that Jefferson has a monument when his rival, John Adams, doesn't. Of all of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, Adams was the man who pushed so hard to make it happen. We hardly give Adams credit for the influence of his hand in creating our country. This truly comes out in David McCullough’s book, John Adams.
So I admit, I feel a little blah about anything Thomas Jefferson. I feel that all of his great characteristics are emphasized (hence the monument), while all of his weaknesses and flaws are passed by, whereas with Adams, we emphasize all of his flaws and overlook his great strengths. So, yes, I’m jealous. I do have Adams blood in me, and I think that may be spurring part of these feelings. But honestly, I believe that I am right.
Well, here are a few pictures of Monticello. In my opinion, it’s not nearly as cool as Mount Vernon. I definitely recommend taking the tour on slavery at the plantation. I did get a thrill seeing the chair that President Jefferson sat down in to write letters.


Lincoln Monument
I remember the first time I saw this monument. I had flown all the way over from Europe to present to NASA a project that I had made up. I remember thinking while standing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial that Washington, D.C., was one of the most distinct and beautiful cities I had ever seen. If you stand at the Lincoln Memorial, and look beyond its reflection pool, you can see the Washington Monument, and then right behind that, the Capitol Building, all lined up in a nice row.
Here's what it looks like from the steps:
If you go to the Lincoln Monument, take time to read all of the writing on its walls. Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address is inscribed on one wall and his second inaugural address is inscribed on the other wall.
Here's what the monument looks like from the World War II Memorial:
Inside:
A book I highly recommend is Team of Rivals: the Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It took me a while to get into this book because I wasn’t at all familiar with the people who made up Abraham Lincoln’s cabinet. I spent a good half a year getting through the first half of the book, which describes who these individuals were. But once I came to know these men and their wives and daughters, the book came alive for me.
Lincoln was truly a political mastermind. He was patient, always seeking to find common interests, kind, funny, an amazing storyteller, an avid reader, and a person who was willing to make short-term sacrifices for the long-term good of the country. I wish that I had these characteristics. When I got to the part of the book where he was murdered, it came upon me as a complete surprise, as though I hadn’t known that he was going to be murdered. I believe that it takes a great of skill to writer to create that kind of effect upon its readers.
While I was visiting the Library of Congress one time, I saw a small display of some of the items found in Lincoln’s coat pocket the night he was murdered. I'll post a picture when I find it.
Roosevelt Memorial
I have so much to learn about our one and only four-term president, President Roosevelt. The only thing I know about him is that he led us through the Great Depression and almost all of World War II. I know a few things about the New Deal from my grandparents. I know a little bit about his wife, Eleanor, how she really redefined the role of a First Lady in the White House. I had known a few anecdotes of his interactions with Winston Churchill, but that was really it. I really wanted to know more.
Well, this monument, gave me a renewed desire to learn about Roosevelt, especially during the Great Depression years, since I had known hardly anything about him at this time. I had lived in D.C. for three years before I actually made it to this monument. It’s a little out of the way, but it’s worth a visit. If you have any good book recommendations, let me know.
No comments:
Post a Comment