One of the LDS General Conference talks that has stuck with me is Elder Eyring’s November 2007 talk called “O Remember, Remember.” In it, he talks about recognizing the hand of God in our lives and writing down those observations. Whenever I’ve been downhearted, I’ve thought about this. I try to write in my journal a few times a week. If I’m having a bad day or feeling discouraged, sometimes I will vent out all of my frustrations. But I find that I feel better if I force myself to write one thing where I have seen the hand of God work in my life. This has led me to realize that I have so much to be thankful for. It has taught me to appreciate life more, even the things that I don’t like about it. Indeed, there is so much to love about life and I am thankful.
I had to give a talk in church about being thankful one year. One of my favorite quotes that I gave in my talk was one by Elder Faust: “As gratitude is absent or disappears, rebellion often enters and fills the vacuum. …. I refer to rebellion against moral cleanliness, beauty, decency, honesty, reverence, and respect for parental authority. A grateful heart is a beginning of greatness. It is an expression of humility. It is a foundation for the development of such virtues as prayer, faith, courage, contentment, happiness, love, and well-being.” I’ve found that to be the case with me.
I am thankful for so much. I’m thankful for my wonderful husband and his sweetness, kindness, and love. I’m thankful for my parents, my two brothers, and my sister. I am thankful for my brother’s spouses.
I’m so thankful to my husband’s family. They have shown me kindness and love and support. I couldn’t have asked for a better family to marry into.
I am thankful for good health and a working mind and body. I’m thankful for a good mind. I’m thankful that I have clothes and food in my home, and shoes to walk in. I’m thankful for our home.
I am thankful for the gospel in my life. I know I need to be more consistent about writing down the ways God has blessed me and the way he works in my life. I’ve seen the hand of God in my life time and time again.
When my husband I were first married, we took a white board, and one side of it, we wrote down all of the things we were grateful for. On the other side, we wrote down the things that we were praying for. Almost every single thing on that board that we had been praying for was answered. I know that this was because of God’s mercy and hand in our lives. I don’t think these things happened by chance. I don’t think we ever earn God’s mercy, but I think there are some things that we can do to accept his mercy into our lives, such as keeping the commandments, showing love for one’s neighbors, serving each other and accepting service.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment