Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mad Hatter Un-Tea Party

All is well here in Washington State.  I have been busy in my new calling as Activity Days leader.  We had a Mother-Daughter Activity in our ward a few Fridays ago, and I spent the month prior preparing for it.  We made it an Alice in Wonderland-inspired Mad Hatter Un-Tea Party.Un-Tea Party Panorama_DSC5191._v_Copy 1

_DSC5196

_DSC5125

The girls helped make the flowers that were used as center pieces. Maria put them on steps and colored the stems … hours and hours of work!

_DSC5103

The girls helped color the rice the flowers sat in. I made the black-and-white checkerboards for the center.

_DSC5200

We collected bottles and put “drink me” signs on them.

_DSC5088A "mushroom" made of a tomato, hard-boiled egg, and mayo.

480406_444766968884614_1531479855_n

We served mushrooms (tomatoes dotted with mayo on top of an egg).

_DSC5083_DSC5085

Vegetable cups, PB&J sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches, a pasta salad.

_DSC5121

_DSC5173

These were their name tags … “Hi, My Name Isn’t …”

_DSC5098Leticia created this beautiful backwards clock. It was 5-feet in diameter, but had clues so small you needed a magnifying glass to read!

I made this 5X5 clock for a finish-my-sentences game.  Next to the numbers in 3-point font is the name of a category.  The girls randomly chose a number from a bag and then had to use a magnifying glass read the category associated with the number.  The categories were:

1:00 Talking in the Movies (Quotes from Movies),

2:00 Fairy Tale “Beginnings” and “Endings” (Quotes from Fairy Tales, including Disney)

3:00 Oh, So Wise (Famous Proverbs and Sayings)

4:00 Nursery Rhymes

5:00 Want to Play? (Famous Board & Card Game Titles)

6:00 I’m Feeling Bookish (Book Titles)

7:00 Let’s Go to the Movies (Movie Titles)

8:00 Singable Quotes (Quotes from Songs)

9:00 Name that Tune (Song Titles)

10:00 Tongue Twisters

11:00 What’s on TV? (TV Show Titles)

12:00 I’m in Wonderland (Alice in Wonderland Quotes)

_DSC5203

The moderator had a list of sentences for each category.  She read the first part of the sentence and the girls and their moms had to finish the sentence.  It took a few days for me to come up with the sentences and categories, but I got a good list.

_DSC5069Leticia created this 8-foot chess board out of paper. I'm impressed with withstood 3 groups of girls dancing all over it.

I made this chess board and the queen placards for a Queens’ Race.  My partner in Activity Days made the huge die. 

Huge dice that Maria created for the chess game.

The numbers dice tells how many spaces they can go forward (1-3 or 1 backward).  The directions dice tells what direction they could go (horizontal, diagonal, forward/backward). 

_DSC5318

The mother-daughter team chose who could roll the dice and who would be the queen on the board.  And they took turns.  The queen who got to the end first won, and they played for second and third place.

_DSC5113

We had played croquet with upside down flamingos mallets that Maria put

together. She used pool noodles for the hoops.

_DSC5062_DSC5063

Maria made these gorgeous flowers. Behind each flower is a get-to-know you question for the mothers and daughters.

I caught the party-planning bug helping out with this activity.  Maria is a master party-planner and I learned a lot from her, and I had a lot of fun helping out  with this.  And most importantly, the girls and their moms had a terrific time.

1 comment:

  1. So cute! You are so creative...I just know the girls loved it! It's fun to have callings like that sometimes! Hope things are well!!

    ReplyDelete